Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Red & Green, It is Irish Rednesday!

Happy St. Patrick's Day. Today is also Wednesday is Rednesday. Our gracious host of the party, Sue @ It's a Very Cherry World, suggested last week in honor of the holiday to add a little Irish green to this week's reds. Long before Domestic Diva Martha made this color combo popular by showcasing her daughter's retro kitchen in her Martha Stewart Living magazine, I had long used that color scheme in my decor .... I love putting bright red accents with my Jadeite plates. So here are a few of my pieces.

The breadbox is a reproduction piece, a gift from a friend, and with its "Jadeite Green" color and red roses, it sets the tone for today's Irish Red. The sweet little napkin holder is festooned with strawberries and has a green stripe around the top. I found it at Goodwill for $1.99. It is marked Japan. Everything else except the bundt pan are lawnsale or thrift store finds. The cake pan was marked on clearance 75% off at my local grocery store. You have got to love the color. I am thinking it would look fabulous with red enamel polka dots painted on .... It's okay, I have other bundt pans for any actual cooking.

Red and green thermoses.


Here is just a sample of my glassware, mostly Goodwill or lawnsale finds.















3 vintage potholders, salt and pepper set and a popcorn tin, all from last fall's rummage sale at my favorite church, at $.25 apiece.

I love to collect vintage kitchen utensils both plastic and wooden handles .....

Red and Green. I just love the green glass handle on the egg beater. The tin is going to become a lamp. I have the parts gathered and just need the time to assemble.

I also use new pieces such as this tin sign found at Christmas tree shop, (after Christmas 90% off - - honestly it almost feels like stealing) and I just love the paper napkins, printed with my favorite jadeite green with a red mixer. The cloth napkin is from a set of 6, the same church sale and same price. It was a very good sale!!!















This metal thermometer is one of my favorite pieces. It has two hooks for hanging your potholders. I remember paying $10.00 at a flea market, more than what I usually spend, but I had never seen anything like it before or since. The red salt shaker was a recent purchase for $.50 cents and the green one was a dime last fall at, you guessed it, the best ever church sale.

This tray was a $.50 lawnsale find, I just love the red roses against the green, and the Fire King pieces were all priced between $1.00 - $5.00. I use the food chopper all the time.

The metal red apple cookie jar was found for free!!! The fabric was a lawnsale find, a couple of yards for only a $1.00. Pieced with coordinating fabric, it will be made into curtains. For the time being, I use it as a tablecloth. The photo does not show very well the jadeite green color found in the flowers against the red background. By the way, I have seen Jadeite spelled various ways, this is how I spell it. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments on the issue. Thanks. Also included is another potholder, a crocheted beauty.

My second red apple cookie jar is a porcelain piece and a lawnsale find for $.25. The clock was at Goodwill for a few bucks. Really, with finds like these, who needs Home Goods or Target?

In an earlier post around Christmas, I had remarked that I had never heard of Holt Howard before Vintage Christmas Monday, and that now I wanted to collect them. Imagine my surprise to find that I already owned a piece. I had purchased this little green and red flower candlestick holder at a Christmas Church sale for a dime, sometime ago. I didn't know, at that time, the name Holt Howard. It matches this Christmas theme pot holder perfectly.














Here is a better view of the fabric along with a rug that I have had for over 25 years. I just love the green and red stripes. The tablecloth was found for $2.00 also at a Christmas Fair. The graphics are adorable.

Well that is it for today's reds (and greens). Thank you again to our host Sue. Please be sure to check out all the other participants of
Wednesday is Rednesday (click here) and be sure to wish them all a Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Speaking of happy, nothing brings a smile like a red box of Girl Scout cookies or maybe even two. The boxes are empty, with my family, the cookies only lasted 2 days.

Please be sure to join me again this Friday, when I will be announcing my
100 Followers Giveaway. I am so excited. I couldn't have reached this goal with out the amazing support of all my new friends. I can't wait to show you what I have put together to say Thank You. See you then.

Have a great day.
Sherrie


27 comments:

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I adore all your reds and greens. My kitchen has the same colors, plus blue too (and cherries!). What a cheery post and I just love what great deals you've gotten on everything.

Kranky Granny said...

Wonderful post. Brings back so many memories. So many of the items you pictured were a part of the homes of my friends and family when I was going up.

I even have a few still.

Can't tell you how many have come through our auction house over the years.

Into Vintage said...

If I had come across that green clock in a Goodwill store, I probably would have had a little fit! It's wonderful. -amy

cathysrunning said...

I'm so impressed with the thrift shop/Goodwill/yard sale finds! My grandma owned one of those egg beaters - it was our favorite to play with when we visited her! Love all your Jadeite Green! It's my first time visiting your blog - very nice!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Fabulous collection of Red and Green. I love how you have combined it and the wonderful fun yard sale, rummage sale and thrift shop finds. Just a great post. Happy 100th and me too probably on Thursday!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

I love all of the beauties you have shown in this post!! So much so that i have a few of them myself!! The Fire King Jadite pitcher, almost all of the same red and green Kitchen utensils, and numerous red rose pot holders and the salt and pepper shakers! I too had a red kitchen before it became the "thing" to do.What a great collection of Kitchen items you have and I so enjoyed drooling over them! LOL!!
Debbie

Miss CherryBubbles said...

Hi Sherrie!

What a fun blog you have :) Nice to meet you too!

Love the red and green items you've posted! My favorite combination is jade-ite green with cherry red - in fact, I plan to paint my kitchen walls that shade of green in the near future - I hope it'll look real swell with my red refrigerator and kitchen accents :)

I believe Fire King spelled it Jade-ite, but the collector books seem to prefer jadite. On the other hand, jadeite is also an acceptable spelling... ;)

Miss CherryBubbles

Dawn said...

You really have some great items there Sherrie. I love red and green together.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Dawn

Carey said...

I just love all of your lovely things. The table cloth in the top picture is to die for. The thermometer is awesome also. You have a great collection.
Happy red St. Patty's Day.
Hugs,
Carey

SueLovesCherries said...

Let's see . . . I'll take the napkin holder, tray with roses, and the fabulous green clock. Be a darling and just send them to my country estate! LOL! (It's fun to dream!)

Candy said...

Grand GREENS and Radiant REDS! What a hoot with the Three Kings herbal tea sign. You have a nice collection of vintage kitchen tools.
Enjoyed looking through your post today :-)

VS said...

OMG...I love all your amazing red & green finds!!!! What wonderful scores you have made, I want to go to the church rummage sale too!!!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving such a sweet comment. You made me laugh this morning which is always a good way to wake up...with your Mel Gibson ashtray & Rudy Valle's home town. That was fun.
Happy Rednesday & Happy St. Patty's too!
Big Smiles,
Susie

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

I love all your fabulous red & greens today! Wonderful Finds!
Blessings,
Myrna

The French Bear said...

What adorable collections, love them both...... can't decide on red or green, they both look so good.... although I am partial to red!!!
Thank you for your kind and caring words, I appreciate them very much!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

I adored your "tour" of Irish Red!! I want to go thrifting with you- we never seem to have any cool stuff in any of the thrifts I go to!!

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

That is a great collection of vintage kitchen items. I like all the green items for the kitchen. Have a great day. My profile numbers kicked in today. I just noticed it this morning.

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day Sherrie!
I love, love, love your jadite and red kitchen. It is so cheery.
You always get the best deals on all of your lovely goodies!
I can't wait for your giveaway. I am so excited for you that you reached 100 followers. You are so wonderful that pretty soon you'll be at 1000!
Have a great day and I'll talk to you soon!
Sincerely,
Melinda

Rebecca said...

Hello
Wow, your collection is amazing! I love the metal thermometer also, it has to be a favorite.
Thanks so much for stopping by
Many Blessings
Rebecca

★Carol★ said...

Wow, with all of the great reds you've shared today, will you still have some for next week?! That's my favorite color combo, the jadite green and red, and you got such amazing deals on it all too! I love it all, but I think my favorite is that green clock!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

Sarah said...

Love them all! That shade of green goes great with red! I remember that article in Martha's magazine. :-)

From the Kitchen said...

If you decide to donate any of the items in this posting to Goodwill, could you please ring me up so that I can follow you there and purchase them all?!! Love them. I purchased a number of those old kitchen utensils a few years ago and worked them into a large grapevine wreath for my kitchen. Great post!

Best,
Bonnie

mimi said...

How wonderful all your greens and reds!!! I love the green Jadite--I used to own one until it accidently was broken :( I will have to do a little treasure hunting this flea market season. Happy Rednesday
Mimi:)

GRAMS said...

I love those colors together. You have such fun stuff.

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen is so fun and happy. I think you should have a for real blogger's party and invite us all to your kitchen for chat and eat. What do you think? :) Love that teapot too!

Anonymous said...

I'm droolin' over here, Sherrie. I love your blog header picture and that first display in jadeite. You have so much great stuff you've been able to collect over the years. Love it :) Happy REDnesday~
p.s. i used to have a soft pink jadeite sandwich plate I'm afraid I killed it in the microwave ;*(

Rustique Gal said...

Sherrie, Look at all your adorable stuff! You must have a huge kitchen. I have too much for my kitchen, and I don't have much of a collection, really. I always enjoy your posts and pictures! Happy Spring!
Sherry

Simple Home said...

I love your vintage kitchen items. I've never seen a thermometer like that either. So cute! I'm so glad I found your blog. It's great to see all of your wonderful finds.
Blessings,
Marcia