Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fun at Goodwill for $1.99

While shopping at my favorite store, need I say it, Goodwill, I found myself browsing through the scarves. I picked out two Old Navy long scarves, brand new, that could be worn as either a scarf or belt. They were color coded the sale tag of the week, so at 50% off, I bought both for just $1.99. I was pleased with my intended purchase. Then Rachel, one of the young ladies that works there, came over and said that she had a fun scarf to show me. It was all folded up and buried deep down in the scarf bin. She pulls it out and hands it to me.

It is folded in the manner as to be placed in a man's suitcoat top pocket, up by the lapel. The first thing I noticed was the handrolled and stitched edges. I gingerly unfolded the scarf and was delighted with all that I saw.


The scarf is vintage silk and made by Symphony. Their scarves always have a little metal violin hang tag, as you can see in the above photo. I have seen other Symphony scarves for sale; however, they were all missing their tag.

I was even more delighted to see that the title of this scarf was REBUS. For those of you unfamiliar with this term, a rebus is a word puzzle that uses pictures to represent words or parts of words. Rachel had been trying to figure out the puzzle herself and had been a little lost. So putting our heads together, we came up with (I think) the story being described. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

Here goes: A fable for you. Once upon a time, there was a woman, but she was a sad woman, not a happy woman, because she didn't have a ring. She liked 2 beaus but she didn't know which one to marry. Sometime she was nuts about a guy who was an actor, sometime her temperature went up when she saw the guy who was a private eye. She married the actor because he asked her before the private eye did. Moral: The ham is quicker than the eye!!!

Needless to say, the scarf is now mine and I will be selling it. Thank you to Rachel for pointing the scarf out to me, she knew I would appreciate it. Thank you to Goodwill, for just being Goodwill. Where else can you have such fun for $1.99, I ask you.

For those that are interested, yes I did brave the opening of the new Goodwill store last Friday. I was there around 3:00, parking lot was full and the store probably had 300 or more customers, seemingly all in the housewares department. Yes I did find some bargains but amazingly showed great restraint. I will be posting my Goodwill adventure and finds at the end of the week.

Have a Great Day.
Sherrie

6 comments:

mub said...

What a fun find!

Marigene said...

I have never heard of those scarves, but will now be on the lookout for one. Can't wait to see what else you bought...I know it will be worth the wait!

katie jean said...

I have never seen these kind of scarves before! Thanks for a little vintage education :) And here I thought I had seen it all!

maryelizabethroche said...

How fun! I love a good find like that...I may do a little hunting this weekend!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Sherrie,
Love the scarf!! Check out my Thrifty Thursday post tomorrow to see what i bought today at the half price sale at The Volunteers of America store!! I hit pay dirt!!
Debbie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Never saw a scarf like that one. How fun for you. Love to learn new things!