Monday, October 12, 2009

Long time in the making

For years friends and family have asked why I don't write a blog about decorating and party giving. I am always willing to share my ideas but never thought about writing them down. With a career change hopefully in the near future (leaving the corporate world), I decided it was time to put pen to paper.


My catering and special event planning business "A Matter of Taste" has always been a sideline to my corporate job, as an important creative release "safety valve". I now find that I enjoy that more and would like to bring those talents to the non-profit sector. At this time in my life, I would like to make a difference rather than just make money.


I grew up in a family of 6. Dad worked and mom stayed home to take care of the 4 kids. I didn't realize until I was a little older just how poor we had been. My mom was and still is an amazing seamstress. She would make us beautiful dresses and winter coats that would rival anything the department stores offered. My father was a skilled carpenter. I cherish the pieces he built for me....each lovingly handcrafted with a custom created stain, his own special formula. So it is no surprise that I grew up with needle and thread in one hand and hammer and nail in the other. I built my first set of shelves at age 10 and by 13, was sewing all my own clothes, often reconstructing hand-me-downs from my older sister and cousins for one-of-a-kind creations.


When it was time to go off to college, my aunt took me to a mill store where you could buy their fabric remnants by the pound. The factory made high -end bedding. For under $20 dollars I was able to make 2 complete sets of sheets and pillowcases, 2 twin size blankets and a comforter. My friends at the dorm could not believe that I had made them.


Over the years, I have made countless sets of curtains, pillows,, tablecloths and napkins, as well as reupholstered chairs. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can survive without knowing how to sew. This is what I would like to use my blog to do....to share my decorating ideas, whether it is interior decorating, tree decorating or theme party decorating......to share garden and landscape design tips as well as tips for your tablescape. I want to show that you don't need a lot of money just imagination. I hope that you will join me.

2 comments:

niartist said...

Hi Sherrie! Good luck with your blog, and I'll be back to check in with you! I am a begginer sewer - so I could use some tricks of the trade! :)

Sherrie said...

Good for you for learning to sew. I can't even begin to guess at how much money I have saved over the years on home furnishings just because I could sew. I should probably post a few shots of some of my more unique sewn creations. You'll know that you are a real sewer when you buy a piece of fabric, that you have no idea what you will make with it, but it is just to fabulous to not have. Good luck.