Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Time to stop and smell the holly, and a little something I made

December, we can all agree, is a busy time of the year. With my shop being in full Christmas mode, my day-job working on year-end inventories and reports, several articles due for the paper, and not to mention trying to decorate at home.....yes it has been a little hectic.

This is when I take a deep breath, and take time to stop and smell the holly.

There is something pleasing about green holly themed candy dishes and platters. This little red knee-hugger elf looks quite comfortable. I think he is waiting for the dishes to be filled with candy.......ah yes, some ribbon candy.

Then there is a bit of fun. Remember this cute little red flocked reindeer that I earlier shared? Well I just found a set of red coasters (Goodwill) that show the exact same reindeer. Really, how fun is that!!! It was a giddy moment. I amuse myself so easily.

Then there are these shiny brite boxes. I use them as decorations. Although they are empty, I just love the green color. It is my favorite shade of green. Plus the graphics are amazing.

Here is Uncle Sam shaking hands with Santa Claus. The box boasts American Made.

I also get excited about Christmas lights like these Noma light bulbs still in their pristine shape and original box. These were rescued from the trash as being old and useless! I just can't imagine that someone could do that. My favorite ones are the green, again my favorite shade of jadeite green. Did you notice the swirls on the bulbs?

So what does one do, when all stressed out with work, home and family....... you stop everything you are doing and get out the glue gun and create. Here is a little wreath I made that I think is pretty darn cute. The wreath form was wrapped in vintage garland and then decorated with vintage Christmas picks and Santa.

On the back of the wreath, I glued on vintage white light bulbs. I took my inspiration from Suzy at The Wreath Blog by GeorgiaPeachez . Her wreaths are simply gorgeous. I was suppose to be cleaning my house not making a bigger mess. My dining room table is now under a pile of supplies, glue gun and scissors. But I did have fun creating and while mine is not in the same league as the wreathes Suzy creates, it was, as it should always be, about having fun.

I am joining a new party at Today's Creative Blog for the Get your Craft on Party. There are already over 200 ideas showing at this party. If you are looking for a craft idea, please be sure to check it out. Looks fun.

Have you stopped today to smell the holly?

Got it at Goodwill
Sherrie

6 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Such wonderful vintage Christmas goodies! I love the wreath you made! Merry Christmas!

Marigene said...

Sherrie, you have great vintage decorations. I love the red and white wreath.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Beautifully done, so clever and lovely!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

My mom had those boxes of Shiny Brights and now they're gone! I so wish I had grabbed them!

Your wreath is so adorable! Fun vintage and festive finds. I have a dish I picked up at the thrift store last year that's very similar to your holly with red berries.

It's always fun to come and see your treasures!

Betty said...

Your wreath is SO cute! I love the art deco look of those bulbs, and the colors are wonderful. I've never seen the holly themed plates and bowls before, so of course, that's what I'll be finding in the next few weeks. That's the way it always seems to go.

Laura said...

Sherrie,
We love your handmade wreath.... so cute! We have been busy painting a hutch we bought off of craigslist. Can't wait until we have time to do some major crafting! We were wondering if you recieved our email giving you our address.

Happy Holidays, Laura and Michele