Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Today, I am very honored and delighted to have received an award, the Happy 101 award that was presented to me by my friend Melinda at Alabaster Rose Designs. Her charming blog showcases her jewelry designs using such beautiful and artistic photography, as well as sharing the occasional snippets from her life. (Please click here to visit). Upon being presented this award, I was asked to list 10 things that make me happy. I have to admit that home-made chicken and dumplings makes me happy or being able to curl up in my favorite chair, with my favorite book, blanket and cup of tea on a cold winter's afternoon, makes me really happy. However, this request made me pause and reflect on what was important to me, what truly made me happy. So here are my thoughts.
1. Family, all in good heath. I love them dearly, I really do, although at times .......... Good thing that they're cute!
2. My Blog. I may not be the best writer or photographer, but I hope if nothing else, I entertain. The wonderful and supportive comments that I have received, bring a smile each day. I am genuinely blessed by all the new friends I have met in this wonderful blogging community.
3. My Gardens, especially if you count colorful weeds as flowers.
4. Decorating, my home, my gardens, my garden shed ..... I'm working on my car next. You can never have too many pillows, right?
5. The satisfaction of salvaging a piece destined for the junk yard (can you say dumpster diving) into a fabulous treasure and being asked which high priced gallery did I purchase it at. (Although the down side of that thought is, that they didn't think I could have made it?)
6. When I learn something new on the computer, like how to add text to a photo or make a photo collage. Although I am not old, I didn't grow up with computers. I was busy with paint brushes and sewing needles. Frankly I have always felt I was born in the wrong century, I would have liked to have been BFF with Susan B. Anthony.
7. Taking 8 hours to shop, prep, and cook a gourmet meal served on a fabulously designed table. When guests comment how much work must have gone into the meal and presentation, I simply reply "Oh this (add a little laugh here) It was just a little something I threw together."
8. Having my 22 year old fashionista daughter comment on how nice I look and having her hang out with me, just the mom, when she could be out with her friends.
9. Still getting excited whenever an article of mine gets published. I have been a free lance writer for years and just recently was asked to be on the staff of the local paper. It doesn't pay but is immeasurably satisfying.
10. Knowing that it is never too late to be what you might have become. I am happy to not be content with the way things are, that it is okay to dream for one's self and to strive to make those dreams a reality.
That is what makes me happy, and oh yes, Chocolate Pie with real whip cream and chocolate shavings, mashed spuds drizzled with truffle oil and I never met a Peking Duck that I didn't like.
But enough of what makes me happy. Apparently, I get to share this lovely award and have chosen 4 fellow bloggers to bestow it upon, because they each make me happy, when they leave me comments and when I visit their lovely blogs.
First of all, I would have chosen Melinda at Alabaster Rose Designs; however, she is the one to have awarded me. Next I thought of Sissie @ Sissie's Shabby Cottage. That woman can crack me up. The photos of her home are scrumptious as are her ruffled creations; however, her blog is respectfully Tag Free. Please feel free to stop on over and check out her blog anyway, (click here) you will be glad that you did.
These are the four that I have chosen for bringing me a smile, perfect for the Happy 101 Award.
Julie Marie @ Idyllhours (an elegant and gracious blog hostess)
Linda @ A la Carte ( a friend with fabulous finds)
Mimi Bleu @ Bonjour Romance (for a virtual trip to Paris. I love her quote "Put a little ooh la la in your life."
Sweet Bee @ Sweet Bee Cottage ( sharing wonderful snippets of her family life and being generous with her sweet comments).
Just think how much better the world would be, if in real life we were able to award Happiness Awards and that people would strive to bring happiness to those all around them. Oh well, I am back to daydreaming but every thing starts with a dream.
Have a lovely day my friends.