Monday, April 19, 2010

Thrifty Finds & Bridal Shower Post #2

I love to organize a party. Make it one with a fun approach, a little glam and a little bling, ...... I am in Heaven. As I posted last week, I am catering an upcoming Bridal Shower for a sophisticated Bride. The theme is Breakfast at Tiffany's. Think Little Black Dress and Diamonds Chic and that is my design inspiration.


First, I need to show a little update from that post. As you recall, I displayed a few repurposed band boxes that I will be using on the buffet
table for height and visual interest. I was not 100% satisfied with the silver box with black tassel, so changed it out by adding this silver ribbon and bit of bling (bought at Goodwill for $.99 cents.) I like it much better this way.


Next, I was going to post about the party favors and menu cards that I am creating; however, a trip to Goodwill on Saturday morning changed all that. There in the housewares department were these Mercury Glass candlestick holders for $1.99 each. Their shape invoked the 1960's, perfect for Holly's apartment in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Now I was planning on using a few of my silver candlestick holders, but not all from my collection. Most of my silver is better suited for a Victorian High Tea. These were absolutely perfect for the look I am going for and I bought them all.


One of the ladies at the store told me that these were brand new from QVC. She had just opened them up from the original boxes. It seemed that these and other items had been stored in a horse trailer owned by the brother of the woman that apparently buys a lot from QVC. Now that it is spring, the trailer was needed for horses and not candlestick holders and he had warned her to move her stuff or loose it. (Ouch, that had to have hurt. I wonder if she knows her things are missing yet?)

I followed up my trip to Goodwill with a foray into Michaels. I wasn't really looking for anything but wanted to use last week's 40% coupon. They had a sale in the floral department and that is where I found these beauties ..... black Gerber daisies. I normally do not use silk flowers, much less black ones, but could not pass these up for only $1.00 each for the large and $.75 for the small.

I removed the flowers from their stems and they fit perfectly in the candle holders. How fun is that?

I think they will be gorgeous in a line down the center of the buffet table. What do you think?

Today I have decided to link up with Southern Hospitality for Today's Thrifty Finds. (Click here to check out other fun finds). Normally when I think thrifty I only think of a vintage find; however, I am just ecstatic, dare I say giddy over both of my weekend thrifty finds. Thanks for letting me have fun showing you.

I also want to say a big thank you to all the nice ladies that left such sweet comments about my daughter's birthday. They were very touching and greatly appreciated. In case you were wondering about the Mother & Daughter photo, yes she looks just like her father. Thank goodness she got his nose, but at least my hair.

Have a great day.
Sherrie

19 comments:

CC said...

The candlesticks and daisies are just gorgeous, how wonderful the party will be.
As a p.s. I think your daughter looks amazingly like you..your are both just gorgeous.

★Carol★ said...

I think the bridal shower is going to be amazing, all thanks to you! I love how you're thinking outside the box, and not doing the usual, boring decorations. Those candlesticks are just gorgeous with the black daisies! Please show more as you go along, ok?
Happy Monday!
Carol

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Oh!!! I think it will look spectacular! What am elegant look!!
Debbie

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Sherrie,
Wow, you are going to have one very happy and glam bride to be! The candlesticks look fabulous. Hope we can see more. Good luck and have a fabulous week,
Mimi

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love how the black Gerber Daisys look like big floppy hats! It will look amazing on the table. You are doing such a great job, looks like a lot of work but a lot of fun also!

Kristy Carberry said...

Oh I am so jealous of your candlesticks find! I would have bought them all too! Thanks for sharing!

Kelee said...

Hi Sherrie!

I love your blog! We are kindred souls! The Breakfast at Tiffany's theme is an ongoing one for me...

love the candlesticks with the black daisies -like Audrey's hat.

Tooo fun! So glad to meet you!

love, kelee @ www.katillacshack.com

helenabelle said...

I love, love, love those candlesticks!! Those are so amazing. What a great find. :)

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving I comment. I'm glad I found you! Goodness, we would be a pair together. I love your theme for the shower. Those candlesticks AND those BLACK daiseys are perfect!? I can see where those flowers would be a hard sell, however for what you are using them for they will be stunning!

I do hope you'll come visit me again. We have lots in common! ;)

Donna

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Oh I LOVE those candlesticks - what a score - and with those daisys - stunning.
Thanks for visiting my blog and for the nice comment.
sylvia

Scribbler said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. To answer your question about the little Singer -- I think it might have been in about 1954 or '55. Considerably older that yours!

Your blog is very neat -- I will visit again!

Scribbler

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment. Your friends bridal shower is going to be beautiful, those candel sticks with the flowers looks great and that is such a great idea as well as the boxes. By the way I want everything in your header:)

:) Michelle

Linda said...

Thank you for stopping by my site today and especially thank you for leaving a comment. Making new blogging friends is always fun and always welcomed!

I LOVE the mercury glass candlestick holders and what a deal! I would have snatched those babies up sooo fast!

I'm sure everything will look just fantastic for the party. I'll have to come back and check out your party pictures!

Take care and have a great week!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherrie,
Your candlesticks and boxes are absolutely beautiful! And the flowers look great paired up with the candlesticks. I hope you will take some pictures of the shower once you have everything set up, I can't wait to see it. I hope you are having a wonderful week!
Talk to you soon.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Miss Marple said...

Hi Sherrie, thank you sooo very much for your nice comment on my blog!
I love the American tradition of bridal showers and such...and than one in B.a.T. Style! As far as I can see you have the perfect decoration already!
Have a nice day from Germany! - Irma

Diann said...

Wow! You totally hit one out of the park when you found those mercury glass candlesticks at a great price! They are wonderful! And the black gerbers look amazing in them! I can't wait to see pictures of the bridal shower! Oh, and the boxes look awesome!

Susan said...

Love, love, love your blog!
I'm a new reader and fan!

Susan

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Those candlesticks and the flowers will look fantastic lined up down the center of the table. You really got a great deal on those!
Yeah for GW!

hugs
Sissie

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Wow!! Did you do good, girl!! I love everything that you bought and would have bought the same things you did!

I went to my favorite Thrift Store's Half Price Sale this morning and will have a post about it on Thursday so if you have a minute or two, check out my new treasures!
Debbie